Sponsored links


Valid XHTML 1.0!
Valid CSS!



Product: Book - Hardcover
Title: Understanding and Deploying LDAP Directory Services (2nd Edition)
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional
Authors: Timothy A. Howes, Mark C. Smith, Gordon S. Good, Tim Howes
Rating: 3/5
Customer opinion - 3 stars out of 5
MASSIVE BOOK full of details - not for the novice


This book gives a good architect's or project manager's understanding of LDAP and of the difficulties inherent in deploying any complex mission critical software system. The book covers schema and name space design, security considerations, legacy integration, capacity planning, systems management and procurement. All of these issues are discussed in a vendor neutral tone, though the references are a bit heavy on Netscape publications.
This is not a programming book and this is not a product manual. For architects, this is a concept book rather than a reference book: After reading this book you will still need to spend hours pouring over your vendor's manuals figuring out how to implement your design. For a project manager, this book may deserve the "bible" moniker, with the checklists something that can be used to guide the deployment of many new systems. While there is one, quite good, chapter on application design, application design is not the focus. Tim and Mark's earlier book covers that topic in much more detail.
The book, at 850 pages, is long, but it should be easy going for a database professional. The book itself looks like it was laid out with an HTML browser's "Print" command.
If you are considering an LDAP deployment, using any LDAP server, you will find this book invaluable during the evaluation, planning and deployment process.



Product: Book - Paperback
Title: Murach's OS/390 and z/OS JCL
Publisher: Mike Murach & Associates
Authors: Raul Menendez, Doug Lowe
Rating: 5/5
Customer opinion - 5 stars out of 5
Very practical and useful


I got more than I expected from "OS/390 and z/OS JCL". Not only were the chapters on JCL itself very clear and complete, but this was really a collection of small reference books. For example, there is a section on IDCAMS, which is going to be very useful, because it has all those parameters that I can never remember. There's another section on batch utilities, which shows you how to use them with HFS directories.
I would very much recommend this book to anyone new to z/OS -- or anyone like myself who gets annoyed at how difficult it is to find out some detail that they have just forgotten.



Product: Book - Paperback
Title: PMP Certification for Dummies
Publisher: For Dummies
Authors: Peter Nathan, Gerald Everett Jones, Peter Nathan, Gerald Everett Jones
Rating: 5/5
Customer opinion - 5 stars out of 5
New 2nd Edition is the cure to passing


This new 2nd edition is the cure to passing the PMP exam. They really listened to the feedback here and made the changes we asked for. So the inconsistencies were corrected and new material expands the benefits. This is the easiest book to understand. I have them all. Rita's and Kims have plenty of errors and omissions as well as being much more exspensive. They are really harder to understand and follow than PMP Cert For Dummies.

Simply, this is the best self study guide for passing the exam. Don't rely on any one book to pass the exam, but use this one and the others. Remember tha the exam is only 70% based on the PMBOK. This helps fill in the other 30% of the score! Anybody without this book is at a competitive disadvantage.

This For Dummies book helped me to overcome my fear of passing the exam. I already know the material, but it's from hw my company uses the terms. This book was really helpful in getting into the PMI mindset and exposing what I needed to study and the PMI standards that I had to re-learn.

Great 2nd edition. Thanks guys. This is what I needed to pass.



Product: Book - Hardcover
Title: Data and Computer Communications, Seventh Edition
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Authors: William Stallings
Rating: 1/5
Customer opinion - 1 stars out of 5
an excellent tutorial on networking


If you have some digital bacjground and want to learn about networking technolog, this book is the way to go....It is an excellent tutorial on networking